Gum disease is a disease that affects the soft tissue of the gums. If gum disease, also called periodontitis, is not treated quickly, the results can be devastating and may lead to the need for a dental extraction mesa. Need more information about gum disease? Take a look below at five important gum disease facts.
1. Most cases of periodontal disease begin with plaque on the teeth. It is important that you brush your teeth twice per day, every day, to ensure all of the plaque is removed from the teeth. Plaque eats away at the tooth enamel. Once the enamel is gone, it is gone and does not come back.
2. Gingivitis, the mildest type of gum disease, is reversible with proper dental treatment. It is essential that you visit the dentist twice per year per recommendations from the American Dental Association to ensure you get the proper treatment necessary to keep your teeth strong and healthy.
3. Many risk factors for gum disease exist. If you are a smoker, you increase the risk of developing gum disease. Furthermore, people are more likely to develop gum disease if they do not take good care of their teeth. Inadequate and poor nutrition can also cause gum disease to develop.
4. Many signs suggest that you have a problem that needs to be addressed by the dentist. The most common signs of gum disease include persistent bad breath, tender gums, gums that bleed easily, painful chewing, and many others.
5. Periodontist is preventable. If you value your teeth and smile, it is essential that you take proper steps to prevent the disease. The best way to do this is to take care of your teeth. Proper brushing and regular dental visits make a big difference in the outcome of your oral health.